Basic Meditation #1
There are many different ways to meditate, some very simple, some quite complex. This is a simple basic meditation technique suitable for beginners. Some people like to have a point of focus such as a candle whilst others prefer to just close their eyes. There is no wrong way, just the way that suits you.
- Choose a spot where you will not be disturbed by other people or by the telephone.
- Sit quietly in a comfortable position. How you sit is up to you, just so long as it is relaxing.
- Close your eyes and take in a deep cleansing breath. Fill your lungs to their fullest capacity. Then release the breath through your mouth and push all the air out of your body. Take in three deep breaths through the nose, imagine the white light from the universe coming into your lungs and collecting at your solar plexus.
- With all three exhalations, picture all the stress, anxiety and negativity you have leaving your body. Now begin to relax your entire body and mind.
- Relax your muscles sequentially from head to feet. This helps to break the connection between stressful thoughts and a tense body. Starting with your forehead, become aware of tension as you breathe in. Let go of any obvious tension as you breathe out. Go through the rest of your body in this way, proceeding down through your eyes, jaws, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, chest, upper back, middle back and midriff, lower back, belly, pelvis, buttocks, thighs, calves, and feet.
- Breathe slowly and naturally, concentrate on your breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth.
- Assume a passive relaxed attitude. Don't worry about how well you're doing. When other thoughts intrude, simply return to the relaxation.
- Continue for 10 to 20 minutes. You may open your eyes to check the time, but don’t use an alarm. After you finish just sit quietly for a minute or so, at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes open. As you get more experienced you may wish to meditate for quite a bit longer. But don’t force yourself in the early days.
- Try that once or twice a day and see how you get on!